An inclusive, community-based dance class for kids
Saturdays, 10:15 – 11:15pm
January 20th – March 16th
(no class on February 24th)
The spring session of How do YOU dance will run from March 30th – May 25th. Registration for the spring session will open in February.
This beginner dance class introduces children to the wide world of dance with an emphasis on community building, inclusiveness and child-driven movement exploration.
All classes include:
- An Opening and Closing Circle: in which each student is acknowledged, welcomed, oriented to the class and appreciated.
- A Warm Up: a vigorous set up movements to wake up the brain and increase range of motion in the body.
- Content sharing: a time for Anna to share new content based on the unit we are in and the focus of the day. Content will be shared through picture books, conversation, collage or video
- Dance Explorations: exercises in which students are asked to improvise or freestyle based on the content shared.
- Skills Building: learning and practicing new skills related to content.
- Dance Creation: students share dance movements generated from dance explorations and skills building.
Our winter session will be divided into 2 units; How do YOU dance and Social Dance/Dancing Together.
Our first unit will ask the questions what IS dance? And how do you like to dance and why? We will explore and share our own dance styles and preferences, teaching each other our favorite movements and trying on each others’. We will also look outside of our community to learn about and take inspiration from dance styles and traditions from around the world.
Our second unit will focus on the many ways people dance together and the connection between dance and other aspects of culture. Students will be introduced to social dances including old school hip hip dance and breaking, European circle and square dances, Merengue, and contact improvisation.
$64 – $192 sliding scale. $128 is the actual cost of the class. Please adjust this cost as needed based on your circumstances! Payments may be made in 2 parts or in full at the time of registration. 1 full Scholarship spot is reserved for each class. If you are interested in a scholarship, please proceed with the registration process and indicate you would like a scholarship on the registration form. Barter options may also be available.