An inclusive, community-based dance class for kids
Saturdays, 10:15 – 11:15pm
January 21st – May 20th
(no classes February 18th and April 15th)
This beginner dance class introduces children to the wide world of dance with an emphasis on community building, inclusiveness and child-driven movement exploration.
All classes include:
- An Opening and Closing Circle: in which each student is acknowledged, welcomed, oriented to the class and appreciated.
- A Warm Up: a vigorous set up movements to
- wake up the brain and increase range of motion in the body.
- Dance Explorations: exercises in which students are asked to improvise or freestyle with a particular focus in mind.
- Skills Building: learning and practicing new physical skills.
- Dance Creation: students craft and share dance movements generated from dance explorations and skills building.
Our winter/spring session will be divided into 3 units; How do YOU dance, social dance and story dance.
Our first unit will ask the questions what IS dance? And how do you like to dance and why? We will explore and share our own dance styles and preferences, teaching each other our favorite movements and trying on each others’. We will also look outside of our community to learn about and take inspiration from dance styles and traditions from around the world.
Our social dance will focus on dances people do to be together! We will learn about and explore circle dances, line dances, square dances and cipher circles to name a few!
And in the spring we will learn about the ways people use dance to tell stories. Each class we will bring a story or a poem to life with our bodies! This unit focuses on imagination and child-driven dance-making and will include and an informal sharing of story dances for parents and friends on the last day.
$128 – $352 sliding scale. Payment accepted in installments. Barter options and scholarships available.