A holistic dance program for 1st – 3rd graders
Thursdays, 3:45 – 4:45pm
January 18th – June 7th
In addition to these weekly classes, this group will meet one Saturday/month for community building, field trips, dancing parties, rehearsals and performances with the three other classes that make up the Awesome Art in Motion dance group.
Saturday dates are:
January 20th, 1 – 3pm
February 10th, 1 – 3pm
March 9th, 1 – 3pm
April 13th, 1 – 3pm
and May 18th 1 – 3pm
Tentative dates for Performance week at the Shea Theater!
Technical rehearsal, Wednesday May 29th, 3:30 – 6:30pm
Dress rehearsal and performance, Sunday June 2nd, 10:00am – 4:30pm
There will be no classes on February 22nd, April 18th and April 25th.
This hour-long Thursday class is a great choice for students who are
new to Awesome Art in Motion, returning students looking for a shorter dance more low-key dance class, or any student who is unable to make a year-long commitment to be part of Awesome Art in Motion. Students who register for the fall session of this class will have first priority in signing up for the winter/spring session of the class.
Awesome Art in Motion is a place for kids to come together to be themselves and to learn to love and care for themselves and each other; with dance and the body as central to what we do together. This year the program includes four different classes for students ages 6 – 14. In addition to meeting weekly in their individual classes, students in Awesome Art in Motion come together as a full group once a month, building a very sweet, mixed-age creative community.
The Awesome Art in Motion curriculum weaves together improvisational dance, concert dance techniques, social dance, somatic movement, mindfulness, and student-led art making.
The curriculum is divided into the following units:
- How do YOU dance? What is Dance and Where do we Locate Ourselves?
- Dancing from the Inside Out: Mindful Movement and Somatic Body Education
- Dancing in Community, Dancing Together: Social Dance Practices
- Concert Dance Techniques and Dance Making
Each unit includes a creative project (often student choreography), and an opportunity to share that project with the wider community. Our fall session will include an outdoor, informal performance in November, and a family dance party and informal performance December. Our spring session ends with a staged production of student choreography at the Shea Theater.
Each of the Flying Kangaroos classes will include:
- An Opening and Closing Circle: in which each student is acknowledged, welcomed, oriented to the class and appreciated.
- A Warm Up: a vigorous set up movements to wake up the brain and increase range of motion in the body.
- Content sharing: a time for Anna to share new content based on the unit we are in and the focus of the day. Content will be shared through picture books, conversation, collage or video
- Dance Explorations: exercises in which students are asked to improvise or freestyle based on the content shared.
- Skills Building: learning and practicing new skills related to content.
- Dance Creation: students share dance movements generated from dance explorations and skills building.
The name Awesome Art in Motion was chosen by the first members of the group back in 2014!
Check out these photos from Awesome Art in Motion 2022/23!
The cost for the winter/spring session is a sliding scale of $280 – $840 Sliding scale ($47 – $140/month). $560 ($93/month) is the “actual” cost of the class. Please adjust this cost as needed based on your circumstances! Payments may be made monthly, seasonally or in full.
2 full Scholarship spots are reserved for this class. If you are interested in a scholarship, please proceed with the registration process and indicate you would like a scholarship on the registration form. Barter options are also be available.